Essential Skills English
The specific aims of any Certificate in Essential Skills are to improve candidates’ ability to:
- Speak, listen and respond: This means developing the ability to express and communicate meaning in spoken language and to interpret what others say.
- Read and comprehend: This means developing the ability to read, understand and engage with various types of text for enjoyment and learning.
- Write to communicate: This means developing the ability to make and shape text in order to communicate meaning in written language, appropriate to context, purpose, reader and audience.
- Entry Level 1 is assessed through an end of level test and also a formal interview which is completed with the class teacher.
- Entry Leve1 2 and 3 are assessed through an end of level test, a formal group discussion and also a formal interview which is completed with the class teacher.
- Levels 1 and 2 are assessed through external end of level test. There are also two formally assessed speaking and listening elements to the course in the form of formal and informal discussions.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
- wish to improve their essential literacy skills
- wish to become better qualified
- wish to improve their employment and training opportunities
- wish to progress through the national qualifications framework
- may feel less confident in their language skills
Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance
Essential Skills qualifications are widely recognised by FE Colleges such as SERC and by employers in a range of fields so this course can open the door to both employment and further studies